OK, I don't really dislike dogs, per se. I'm indifferent to dogs in general, and, much like people, some dogs are more interesting and personable than others.
But if I contrast cats and dogs, it seems to me that I know people who have cats as pets, and I know dogs who have people as pets.
Those people I know with cats (myself included) don't generally worry about leaving the cat home during the day, and can even leave the cats alone for short periods of time with extra food and water, and without supervision.
Those [admittedly fewer] people I know with dogs have strict dog-imposed schedules they must adhere to, or else the dog punishes them. If they want to leave for any length of time, they have to make sure the dog is attended to as closely to the schedule as possible, and if they can't find a dogsitter, they have to bring the dog with them. To be friends with a dog's pet, you'd better be able to put up with the dog.
I also am distrustful of dogs, expecting them to be loud and destructive.
Obviously there's a whole context to this I'm not going into, and I realise I must sound ungrateful, since I am just an invitee - and I really am grateful for the invite and feel privileged to be included. But I'm not a fan of dogs in my car. I don't mind if it's a single, well-behaved dog. And I'll tolerate 2, because I like my friend. But now it's up to 3 dogs to a single guardian, and I'm suspicious that I won't have a calm, enjoyable drive. And it further irritates me a little that when I offer to drive a person somewhere, it's expected that any number of dogs are welcome, too, without asking first. I understand sitters cancel, and plans have to change, but a little courtesy to me would have been nice.
Whatever. I know this too will pass, and be something unimportant and forgotten, so I'll try to remember that now, when I'm feeling put out and contrary.
1 comment:
I'm a little slow sometimes, often when it comes to realising why something is bugging me. My original post is valid; those things do bug me. But I realised when I woke up this morning that what really was eating me was that the decision was made to add a dog to the menagerie in my car without first consulting me for my opinion on the matter. I was just informed that, so that no-one else was inconvenienced, my car would be transport to yet another dog.
Post a Comment