2008-09-30

A shout out to irritating people

  1. When calling your partner from the grocery store, try not to completely block the aisle with your cart and body while determining exactly what brand of some product would best suit your needs.
  2. People disagree with you on the internet. It will happen. Learn to deal with it and engage in discussion, or get off the internet.
  3. Sometimes, people do exit the elevator you are waiting for. If you stand substantially more than 3 inches from the door, it will avoid that awkward moment when you have to get the hell out of the way.
  4. If you are in a customer service role, don't lie simply because you don't know or can't be bothered to find out. Especially when you work in a franchise that has a shop on every corner. A lot of people aren't as clueless as you expect.
  5. If you are being served by a customer service associate, it is not your right to specify and customize every aspect of your request. There are limits; learn to stay within them. More aggression will not meet with success, and just ruin someone else's day on top of it.
  6. I'm not sure how you do the dishes at home, but if you take a moment to hang the cloth off the faucet, then your coworkers would not have to fish the cold, soggy thing out of the bottom of the sink when they need it.
  7. I don't care who you know, where you went to school, or what your family does. I care whether or not you're an ass right now.
  8. The cost of your vehicle is not inversely proportional to either the amount of courtesy you're expected to show to other drivers, or the expectation you will park it in the same fashion as less expensive vehicles.
  9. Do not call or message me after 23:00 if it's not urgent. I don't know how your life allows you to be awake all hours of the night, but mine doesn't.
  10. You are not an expert on a particular subject because you (or your third cousin) encountered it once, 6 years ago. Extensive repetition of that incorrect idea, and/or raising the volume with which you speak it, does not increase the correctness of it.
  11. I know you think [ high school | college | your first job ] was the best time of your life. But now's really not that bad. Let it go, already.
  12. That banging on your floor indicates you are being excessively loud, such that your neighbours are feeling particularly disturbed. Incidentally, such banging should also be taken as a suggestion to refrain from doing that again, including say tomorrow, or the day after.
  13. Telephone conversations should be treated as private. That applies on mobile devices as well as your land line. Certainly, you have a mobile so you can take calls, but perhaps that animated conversation about last night's debauchery should be taken outside the church.

Feel free to add your own.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must know. That one about the phone call...did you actually hear someone discuss wild debauchery on his/her cell in church?

Heather said...

Yeah, that whole banging on the floor thing? That just gets my resident a-holes even more riled up.

Anonymous said...

WTG!

BretCB said...

Manon: No, I didn't. Really, when do you think was the last time I was in a church? :)

Anonymous said...

Bret - you're a terrible little heathen. ;-)

I'd like to add this: "Public transit means sharing space with other people. Your overloaded backback and my face do not need to connect. Ever. Take the damn thing off and stop being a jerk."

BretCB said...

Yeah, I thought of that one on the ride home last night, after I saw someone nearly get clobbered. People seem to forget they have this thing strapped to themselves, and fail to take it into account when they turn around. I once saw someone asked to move aside to allow someone past (to get off the bus) continuously turn to place their backpack in such a way to repeatedly block the requester getting by, having no clue their backpack was in the way. The requester, sensing the doors' imminent closure, finally lost patience and shoved the backpack out of the way, threatening the wearer's balance.